Frequently Asked Questions

We urge you to read the information on UC Davis' Commencement website for answers to many of your questions.

Where can I find links that include past student speakers at past commencements?

iTunes link
Note: when you first open this you will see only 20 of the most recent videos in the list, but after subscribing, you can get all 62.

YouTube playlist

Kaltura (campus video portal) link:

When and where is the commencement ceremony?

Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in the Pavilion

Who is eligible to participate in the ceremony?

Any student who received a degree in March 2017 or June 2017, or who expects to receive a degree in September 2017 or December 2017, and who has not already participated in an undergraduate commencement ceremony, is eligible and welcome to participate in the fall ceremony.
Any student who expects to receive a degree in March 2018 and has completed the 150 units required, is also welcome to participate in the ceremony.
For undergraduates to officially graduate, you must file a graduation application online for the term in which you will graduate during the appropriate filing periods.

If I'm not eligible but still want to request to participate in the ceremony, what do I do?

You can submit your petition by logging on to the registration site.

Approval of petitions is based on capacity, units completed, and reasoning.  Decisions will be sent via email after the registration deadline. Petitions received after the registration deadline will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that we cannot guarantee the numbers of tickets for these requests.

How many tickets will I receive?

Admission tickets are REQUIRED for each guest except for children under the age of 2 years.  Undergraduate students who have registered to participate by the October 13, 2017 deadline should receive a minimum of 7 tickets.

Extra Ticket Process:  Extra tickets may be requested on the commencement registration site using the "Extra Ticket Petition" tab to submit your request. Please note that ticket allocation is based upon the actual number of students participating in the ceremony, capacity of the venue and reasons for need.  The last day to request extra tickets is Friday, November 17, 2017.

University policy prohibits the selling of commencement tickets for money or for any commercial value. Violation will result in referral to Student Judicial Affairs.

When will I receive my tickets?

Tickets for undergraduate commencements are electronic.  Registered students will receive an email 2 weeks prior to their ceremony with instructions for printing your tickets at home. 

Please note that ticket allocation is based upon the actual number of students participating in the ceremony, capacity of the venue, and reasons for need. Your graduation from UC Davis is a major milestone in your life, and we wish that we could issue an unlimited amount of tickets for your loved ones. However, we must accommodate some guests for all of our students. Should extra tickets become available, information will be updated.

Undergraduate Extra Ticket Process:  If you would like to request additional tickets, go to the commencement registration system and use the "Extra Ticket Petition" tab to submit your request. Please note that ticket allocation is based upon the actual number of students participating in the ceremony, capacity of the venue and reasons for need. The last day to request extra tickets is Friday, November 17, 2017.

University policy prohibits the selling of commencement tickets for money or for any commercial value. Violation will result in referral to Student Judicial Affairs.

What do I wear?

Graduates will need to rent a cap and gown through the UC Davis Stores

There are a limited number of Cap & Gown Awards available. You will find the application, more informaiton and instructions here. Deadline to apply for the Cap & Gown Awards for Fall Commencement: September 1, 2017 -- November 4, 2017 at 11:59 PM

We Are Aggie Pride administers the award program and once your application has been received, the Awards Director will contact you with a decision. If you are selected you will be contacted. If you have any questions about your application, you may contact

I think I am an honors/honors candidate and/or department citation recipient. Will my name be announced or listed? How can I get a cord or stole?

If you are graduating in March or September, final calculations for honors are listed in the commencement program (June or December, respectively) as Honors, High Honors, and Highest Honors. If you are graduating in June or December, estimated calculations for honors are listed in the commencement program (June or December, respectively) as Candidates for Honors, High Honors, and Highest Honors. Department citations are only awarded and listed in the June commencement program. Due to various circumstances, (i.e. when you officially graduate, when you file to participate in commencement, if you receive a citation) your name may appear in consecutive ceremony programs (i.e. graduated in December, but received a citation in June).

Cords may be purchased at UC Davis Stores or possible through your major department.

Honors = Cum Laude = Blue/Gold
High Honors = Magna Cum Laude = Silver/Silver
Highest Honors = Summa Cum Laude = Gold/Gold

Some departments order their own cords/stoles to give to their students.

What time will the doors open?

The doors open one hour before the ceremony. 

If I participate in the ceremony, will my name appear in the commencement program?

Your name will appear in the Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony Program if:

  1. You graduated in September 2017 or will graduate in December 2017, OR
  2. You have registered to participate online by the deadlines listed above.
Will I receive my diploma at the commencement ceremony?

You may have your diploma mailed to you when it is ready, four months after the end of the quarter in which you completed your degree requirements. When you file to graduate online with the Office of the University Registrar, your account can be billed for the mailing fee of $5.50 within the U.S. or $14.00 outside the U.S. If you choose not to have it mailed, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at (530) 752-3639 before visiting to ensure the diploma is ready. Remember, they take a minimum of four months to prepare. Diplomas are held for pick-up for five years. If you don't pick up the diploma within five years of graduation, you may request a "re-issued" diploma, which will cost $27.50 to domestic addresses and $36.00 to international addresses. the diplomas will bear current gubernatorial, chancellor and dean's signatures.

A certificate commemorating the ceremony is presented to each participant at commencement

What if I have completed a double major?

UNDERGRADUATES: You must indicate on the online registration form with which major you will walk and be seated.

Will photographs be taken of the students during the ceremony?

Photos taken by family or friends will be permitted from their seats or from the designated photo areas available during the ceremony. Tripods will NOT be allowed into the Pavilion. Photos may be taken outside of the Pavilion after the ceremony.

Grad Images is the official photographer for our commencement. Proofs will be sent to your home and e-mail within three to five days after graduation. After you register with Grad Images, they will provide you with the information needed to deliver your proofs to you. Providing an accurate mailing and e-mail address will allow them to send your proofs to you on the first try. Pictures can be ordered online, by phone or by mail. Grad Images can be contacted via their website.

Where do I meet to line-up for the ceremony and where do I sit?

Students will assemble and line up by major in the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC). You are not required to be in alphabetical order within the major. During the ceremony students will be seated on the main floor of the Pavilion.

What if I am participating in the ceremony and have limited mobility or special needs?

Your college can offer special seating arrangements for candidates with mobility problems. If you have a hearing impairment, please contact Student Disability Services.  Please contact your commencement coordinator or Student Disability Services as far in advance as possible to explain your needs.

What if my guest has limited mobility or special needs?

A shuttle service is provided for guests with mobility problems at the Pavilion. The shuttle transports limited mobility guests to and from the parking lots to the north east entrance of the Pavilion.  A tent is outside the parking structure and the ARC Pavilion for elderly and disabled guests to sit while waiting for the shuttle and/or the Pavilion to open.  Limited mobility guests may enter the north east entrance with one other member of their party. Disabled seating sections are available for guests with limited mobility or who use a wheelchair (who may be accompanied by one other member of their party). There are reserved limited mobility sections in rows E & F in sections 201, 206, 207, 213, 214, 219, 220 and 226.

For those guests with limited/no hearing attending commencements in the Pavilion, assisted listening devices may be picked up in the Pavilion Guest Services Center (located at the NE Lobby corner in the Pavilion). Sign language interpreters will be at each commencement ceremony for the general audience. 

Please note UC Davis does not provide wheelchairs.

Will the ceremony be shown on the Internet?

The ceremony is shown live and can be seen afterward on demand at

Are animals permitted at commencement ceremonies?

The information below is an excerpt from the UC Davis Accessibility Website. More detail can be found  here.

University of California, Davis recognizes the importance Service and Assistance Animals have for individuals with disabilities. The University is committed to providing equal access to its classrooms, research facilities, public spaces and housing for all of its community members, including students, employees and visitors.

For Students and Visitors

Permitted animals:  For students and visitors, only Service Animals are permitted in areas where dogs are not otherwise allowed.  A Service Animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. 

Animals NOT permitted: The following are NOT Service Animals:  1) non-dog animals, except in some cases miniature horses; 2) animals that solely serve to deter crime; 3) emotional support, comfort, and companion animals.

If you are not sure a dog is a Service Animal

Permitted Inquiries: If it’s not readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work/perform tasks, then University employees can ask two questions ONLY:

              1) Is the animal required because of a disability; and

              2) What work/task is the animal trained to perform?

If the answer to the first question is yes and the answer to the second question is some work or task related to the disability, then the animal is a Service Animal.

Prohibited Inquiries: University employees may NOT ask about the nature/extent of the disability, may NOT require documentation that the dog is trained or is a service animal, and may NOT ask the dog to perform the work/task.

Requirements for all Service and Assistance Animals
  • The handler, not the University, is responsible for the animal’s care and supervision.
  • The handler must keep the animal under control in public areas – via a harness, leash, tether, or voice control, depending on the task/work performed.
  • The animal must be free from offensive odors and display habits appropriate to the environment.  For example, the animal must be house-broken.
  • The animal may not engage in behavior that endangers the health or safety of others.
  • The animal must comply with Yolo County codes, including requirements for vaccinations and licensing laws.  Documentation may be required.
I'm a faculty member/administrative staff member participating in the ceremony. What do I need to know?

Please contact your commencement coordinator for your school or college to participate in the ceremony.

For gowns, caps, tassels, UC Ph.D. faculty hoods and academic hoods from another university or any UC degree other than a Ph.D. visit

What happens to your email address after you graduate?

The University of California, through Google, started providing a Gmail-based email service to students in late 2008. At UC Davis, this is called DavisMail. Ggraduates continue
to have access to their DavisMail account, although technical support converts from the campus' IT Express to Google: After graduation, DavisMail accounts may start showing small text ads. If you do not want to use a DavisMail account, you may go to to direct your UC Davis email to an external email address of your choice. If you don't have an email address but would like to add one, it is one of the optional benefits of Cal Aggie Alumni Association membership.

Click on the link below to access your DavisMail account.


For questions or additional information about commencement, please contact your commencement coordinator